Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Galadon


On Saturday I went shopping with two of my roommates and a friend. While we were out shopping my two roommates and I started talking about getting a mascot for our apartment and since the only animals that we are allowed to have on campus are fish we very soon decided to get a fish. So we went to the pet store to see what they had for bettas. And before long I had bought a red male betta. We decided that he needed a name and we thought that perhaps we should give him a fantasy name. So our red betta's name comes from one of the two Elvish Languages in The Lord of the Rings (I don't know which of the two though). His name is Galadon (which comes from the name of the City of the Trees in Lothlorien which is Caras Galadon).

1 comment:

Cassi said...

I was looking about the name of your fish for you and this is what I found so far as I don't have a lot of time this morning...

Caras Galadon (Galadhon) Telerin; (great) City of trees; KAR- make, Nol caras a city [Etym];
GALAD- tree [Etym], S galadh [the variant spelling - Galad-on - may be due to the Elves of Lórien
being of Silvan origin]; the -on form is likely augmentative ['great'; see Calenardhon above]; city of
Lórien

I am sure it is a bit messy or at least that is how it looks to me so the sight is:

http://www.quicksilver899.com/Tolkien/LOTR/LOTR_AC.html